Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A WORD FROM JULIAN

I'm in the throes of researching and writing my latest book, a piece of creative nonfiction, titled GOD'S GIRLS: 11 Women Who Have Encountered Divine Love & How You Can, Too. As I near the end of this project and my 40th year of life, I feel as though the women in my book (the likes of Joan of Arc, The Woman of Bleeding, Harriet Tubman, Gomer, Xiao Min, Pocahontas, etc) are ushering me in to middle age, ushering me in to maturity and mystery, faith and the phantasmagoria of being a woman.

One of the chapters in GOD'S GIRLS tells the story of Julian of Norwich, Christian mystic and anchorite (a woman who lived in a cell attached to the church for her entire life, eee gads!). Today I need to hear, once again, some of Julian's words. Perhaps you need to hear them, too:

We are so preciously loved by God that we cannot even comprehend it. No created being can ever know how much and how sweetly and tenderly God loves them.

- Jullian of Norwich, 1342-1412, British Christian Mystic

Maybe, over the coming months, I'll try to share inspiring words from some of the other women featured in GOD'S GIRLS. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sal,

Thanks for the inspiring words! I'd love to hear more! I just remembered that I heard of a book Getting to Know the Church Fathers by Bryan Litfin... which includes one church "mother" - a woman by the name of Perpetua. He described her on the radio interview as a woman in the early church with great faith who was jailed for her Christianity. The reason we know about her is she left behind a diary that she wrote while in prison. I just thought you might want to find out more about her...

Love, Beth T

Anonymous said...

I just added your feed to my favorites. I really enjoy reading your posts..