Friday, February 01, 2008

February's Prayer

This month's prayer is one of my favorites. It is written by Saitn Francis of Assisi, A Roman Catholic Friar. The Patron Saint of animals, Saint Francis' likeness with bird liting on index finger, is readily and recognizable in gardens and other bucolic settings. Though the church calendar recognizes Saint Francis with a Feast Day in October; I thought his prayer, an homage to LOVE was fitting as February's Prayer!
love
I remember singing a version of the Prayer of Saint Francis in mass as a little girl: inscence floating in St. Mary's of Lake Forest smelling almost as good as Jasmine in spring, guitar chords wafting and reverberating 'round vaulted sanctuary ceilings, Mrs. I-Forget-Her-Name's nasal soprano leading the congregation:

Today, as a writer and stay-at-home-mama, I find the prayer: a call, a summoning, a challenge! I'd be delighted if you'd join me in praying:

PRAYER OF SAINT FRANCIS

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

love
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.



For more on Saint Francis' famous prayer, check out Wikipedia's entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_of_Saint_Francis

No comments: