Sunday, February 03, 2008


SNOW DAY!

One of my favorite things about living in the Midwest is being able to experience the fullness of the four seasons: luminous indelible autumnal colors, winter's snows, shoots of green in spring, and the sprinkler days of summer. Since we're in the full blast of winter, I'm embracing all that comes with our coldest season: time by the fire, hot chocolates, walks in the snow, mornings sledding on a hill in the park by our house, reading lots and lots good books 'neath old quilts, getting an automated call from the school district at 5:30 a.m. with an announcement that we're having a SNOW DAY!!!!!!

This year, we had our first Snow Day on February 1st. The kids stayed in their PJs 'til noon, we took a friend sledding, and made Snow Ice Cream.
love
SNOW ICE CREAM
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
Beat together until creamy.

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk (we use 1/2 and 1/2)
1 tablespoon vanilla
Add this to egg mixture and beat together.

Pour above combination mixture over 12 cups of fresh clean snow. Fold together and eat quickly! (If you're concerned about raw eggs; you can make the same recipe omitting the eggs.)

I think what I love the most about experiencing the seasons is that they're full with metaphor and symbol for the cycles of our lives. They speak so strongly, graphically, sensually of death, rebirth, love and loss, grace, and beauty that comes after pain. Shel Silverstein says it wondrously in his poem about a snowman who doesn't want to melt:

Chirped a robin, just arriving,
"Seasons come and seasons go,
And the greatest ice must crumble
When it's flowers' time to grow.
And as one thing is beginning
So another thing must die . . .

It isn't a coincidence that flowers come after the white frigid deep-freeze . . . that my second son was born the week my paternal grandmother died . . . that healing came in my family while I was suffering inexorable, incapacitating back pain . . . that "unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies . . . "

How do you feel about the seasons? Do you have a story to share about the way seasons have symbolized the life and death cycles in your own experience? Feel free to share a story, poem, song, or idea as a comment!
love
Perhaps Silverstein's entire poem and the glorious illustration by my second-grade son, Ben, will inspire you.


SNOWMAN
love























love love 'Twas the first day of the springtime,
And the snowman stood alone
As the winter snows were melting,
And the pine trees seemed to groan,
"Ah, you poor sad smiling snowman,
You'll be melting by and by."Said the snowman, "What a pity,
For I'd like to see July.
Yes, I'd like to see July, and please don't ask me why.
But I'd like to, yes I'd like to, oh I'd like to see July."

Chirped a robin, just arriving,
"Seasons come and seasons go,
And the greatest ice must crumble
When it's flowers' time to grow.
And as one thing is beginning
So another thing must die,
And there's never been a snowman
Who has ever seen July.
No, they never see July, no matter how they try.
No, they never ever, never ever, never see July."

But the snowman sniffed his carrot nose
And said, "At least I'll try,
And he bravely smiled his frosty smile
And blinked his cola-black eye.
And there he stood and faced the sun
A blazin' from the sky -
And I really cannot tell you
If he ever saw July.
Did he ever see July? You can guess as well as I
If he ever, if he never, if he ever saw July.

3 comments:

AudreyO said...

What a wonderful post. Living in CA, we do not have the seasons like you do. However after 3 days of rain and no sun, the day the sun came out, I just couldn't stop smiling. Today, we were back to rain.

Audrey :)

Anonymous said...

Inspired by Sally's poem, I wrote this reflecting my struggle with feeling like I have to earn God's love. I also wrote this during a sermon, and when I showed it to my husband, he drew a big cross with his finger over the words, which is what I imagine God doing.

I believe in black and white,
Truth and justice, wrong and right.
The way things were, always will be.
Traditions, predictability.

I believe in talking straight,
Clearly – I don’t like to wait.
I believe in thick straight lines,
Making plans right on time.

I believe that there are rules,
Making A’s just like in school.
If you don’t pass, then you fail.
Stay on track lest you derail.

I believe in making hay.
Striving, I must earn my way.
Trying hard His love to win
So on that Day He’ll let me in.

Sally Miller said...

For those of you who are wonderin', my friend Beth's poem is in response to an earlier post: CREDO from January 27th, 2008. Check out that post and you'll find her profound, thought-provoking ideas there, too.