Thursday, February 14, 2008

A STORY WITH NO END

This morning, I took my three littlest Valentines to Starbucks for hot chocolate and scones - a rare & extravagant treat - in celebration of this day honoring Love. They ate their pastries and savored the sweet, warm drinks in green-labeled designer cups as we drove to school; and I serenaded the trinity of kids with a bevy of songs holding the word LOVE in their lyrics. We started with a favorite, written by one of my college music professors, Dr. Funk. Yes, that was his real name, Dr. Funk. I love it!

The jazzy tune zips along with a playful, rhyming lyric:

Hey there, Sweetie lookin' so fine.
Won't you be my Valentine?
If you say no, what'll I do?
Find another 'sead of you!

One of the last tunes in car pool recital's repertoire was a folk tune that I sing almost every night before tucking Ben, Ayden and Emily into their beds. It's called THE RIDDLE SONG. It appeals to the kids because of the riddle. It appeals to me because it's simple, beautiful and sings of a story that has no end.

THE RIDDLE SONG

I gave my love a cherry that had no stone.
I gave my love a chicken that had no bone.
I gave my love a baby with no cryin' .
I gave my love a story that has no end.

How can there be a cherry that has no stone?
How can there be a chicken that has no bone?
How can there be a baby with no cryin'?
How can there be a story that has no end?

A cherry when it's bloomin' . . . it has no stone.
A chicken when it's pippin' . . . it has no bone.
A baby when he's sleepin' has no cryin'.
A story that, "I love you" . . . it has no end.

May you live The Story of I Love You today and forever! Happy Valentine's Day!

I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
love love love love love love love love Ephesians 3:16-19

No comments: