Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A MAGICAL PRAYER

The other day I was leafing through pages of The Book of Common Prayer looking for just the prayer to pray for one of my dear friends. During this brief spiritual sojourn I discovered A Prayer of Self-Dedication that caught my heart and eye the way my husband does when he comes through the door smelling of freshly cut wood at the end of a long day.

What I love about the prayer is that it magically takes the mundane moments of my life and makes them meaningful. It gives the daily drudgery a dose of the divine. When I say the prayer, I, in all of my humanness, feel like I'm getting a holy hug.

I plan on memorizing the benison, making it a kind of breath prayer. Perhaps some of you will join me in this. Or, maybe, you'll want to share a prayer that has been meaningful, even magical, to you.

A Prayer of Self-Dedication
Almighty and eternal God, so draw my heart to you, so guide my mind, so fill my imagination, so control my will, that I may be wholly yours, utterly dedicated to you. And then use me, I pray, as you will, and always to your glory and the good of your people. Amen

No comments: