Sunday, January 27, 2008


love
love
love
love
love
love
love
love
love
love
love
love
CREDO
What Do You Believe?
love
Cheri and I sent a crazy fiction proposal to a rather large Christian publisher several seasons ago. The editor we contacted was interested/intrigued in our out-of-the-box, slightly-unorthodox ideas (at least enough to ask for sample chapters). Still, we got the message that the guy was a little freaked out by our exceedingly grace-laced ideals when he asked us to e-mail our 'Statement of Faith.' After giggling a little; we created a modern paraphrase of the Apostle's Creed and sent it sailing through cyber-space.

I'd be remiss not to mention that though the editor's request kinda ticked me off in the moment. Today, I can fully understand his druthers. He had a reputation to uphold, the name of a reputable publishing house to protect. All he needed was a couple of insane stay-at-home-mamas to mess that all up with their loony imaginations!

Regardless of our solid barrings in the faith, our deeply dug Evangelical roots, our regurgitation of the Apostle's Creed, our distinctly Christian education from Wheaton College, and what we thought was a great idea; the manuscript didn't get picked up.

That's O.K.

My only regret is that we didn't have the poem I wrote this morning in church (during a kinda dry sermon) to send in lieu of our 'Statement of Faith.' Somehow, in a strange way and even though I completely embrace the Apostle's Creed, I think the poem is my truest Soul's Credo:

I Believe

I believe in Story, in stars, green grass & rain,
I believe in autumn leaves and natives on the plain

I believe in football games on Sunday & in my yard,
And milk-up-the-nose laughing that spurts out long & hard

I believe in arcs & whales & bread from bright blue sky
In caterpillars that get wings just after they die

I believe in Goldilocks & Three Bears in their den
I believe in One True Myth that died and rose again

Have you ever taken a moment to consider what you believe in the deepest, craziest, most honest, imaginative corner of your soul? If you have - and you're willing to share - post your thoughts here & I'll add them to my blog. Thanks!

Here, I'll get you started: I BELIEVE . . .

1 comment:

Sally Miller said...

My Friend, Beth, wrote her CREDO and posted it under the SNOW DAY post on Feb 3, 2008. It was so good that I didn't want anyone to miss it. So, here it is again:

Inspired by Sally's poem, I wrote this reflecting my struggle with feeling like I have to earn God's love. I also wrote this during a sermon, and when I showed it to my husband, he drew a big cross with his finger over the words, which is what I imagine God doing.

I believe in black and white,
Truth and justice, wrong and right.
The way things were, always will be.
Traditions, predictability.

I believe in talking straight,
Clearly – I don’t like to wait.
I believe in thick straight lines,
Making plans right on time.

I believe that there are rules,
Making A’s just like in school.
If you don’t pass, then you fail.
Stay on track lest you derail.

I believe in making hay.
Striving, I must earn my way.
Trying hard His love to win
So on that Day He’ll let me in.