Friday, April 03, 2009

Words about Word

LOVE
The Word became flesh and moved into the neighborhood.
- John 1:1 (The Message)

They can be like the sun, words. They can do for the heart what light can for a field.
- St. John of the Cross

A word is dead when it's been said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day.
- Emily Dickinson

Most of my friends like words too well. They set them under the blinding light of the poem and try to extract every possible connotation from each of them, every temporary pun, every direct or indirect connection - as if a word could become an object by mere addition of consequences. Others pick up words from the streets, from their bars, from their offices and display them proudly in their poems as if they were shouting, "See what I have collected from the American language. Look at my butterflies, my stamps, my old shoes!" - Jack Spicer

I'm apt to get drunk on words. - Madeleine L'Engle

Her words were like tinfoil; they shone and they covered things up.
- Helen Cross

Step out form behind the words. When you're a writer you can imagine that the words speak for you and are you, but they're not. You are this living, breathing, bad hair day kind of person.
- Beth Kephart

No comments: