Monday, May 05, 2008

Cancer and Cake










God's creativity inspires me. He made everything ex nihilo. Into the empty void of Nothing, he poured quarks and quails, turtles and tourmalines, shooting stars and sharks. On a dark empty canvas, God painted color, light, life, movement, beauty. He does the same with babies, creating them within the dark hiddenness of the womb; and with ideas that unexpectedly arrive as gifts in cranial secrecy.
love
Many times I feel lifeless, dark, empty. I'm void of creative energy for mothering, living a faith-filled life, loving my husband and friends, writing. My energy is low, my life blood surges slow; I feel tired. I need inspiration -- new ideas -- to bring a creative light to my life.

The other day I was standing in line at the Jewel after a particularly wearying grocery shopping experience. As I walked down the aisles grabbing Cheerios, bread, milk and olive oil my heart was heavy for my friend, Margie, who has - for the last year - been bravely, beautifully walking with her two young children and husband as he battles metastasized brain Cancer.

By the time I got to the check out line, I was inexorably sad. I felt my throat catch and tears behind my eyes. Silently, I prayed, Lord, help Margie. And help me help her. I need an idea, a plan, an inspiring creative way to bring hope and help and healing to this dark difficult place.
love



love
love
love
love
love
love
love
At that precise moment, a little cookbook nestled beside the candy bar display caught my eye. "Celebrate with our best ideas ever: CAKES!" lauded the front of the little book picturing a green and white grasshopper cake dressed in chocolate mint candies and celadon colored whipped cream. I grabbed the book, flipped through its pages: a roller coaster cake, mud slide ice cream cake, spice cake with raspberry filling & cream cheese frosting, pirate's hidden treasure cupcakes, a carrot cake covered with dozens of tiny icing carrots, chocolate zucchini snack cake.
love



love
love
love
love
love
love
love
Blood seemed to course a little bit faster through my veins. Neurons began to fire in my brain. The Holy Spirit seemed to whisper. Bake a cake every Monday with Charlotte (Margie's four-year-old daughter). This is something small you can do to help . . .

For the last few Mondays my kitchen has been blessed by egg shells on its counter, flour on its floor and Charlotte's laughter. With my daughter Emily, Charlotte and I have made the spice cake, the grasshopper, and a few others. Yesterday we made pirate cupcakes.
love
Every Monday evening as I send Charlotte home with the cake we've mixed, baked and decorated together, I can't help but think of the simple way God dropped that idea into my mind in the Jewel line. A simple idea in a dark, hopeless place creating love, frivolity . . . slices of sweet life.
love

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sal -

You bring the gift of friendship to life! God Bless you for all you are doing...baking for John, Marige, Charlotte and Josiah.

love,
julie mac

Anonymous said...

Sally,

I could not read your post very well the first time through (tears in my eyes). So, I read "lauded the front of the little book" as "laughed the front of the little book," and I almost laughed myself, thinking of a little book talking and laughing, bringing God's sunlight into darkened corners.

God bless you and your family,

Randy

Anonymous said...

For some reason this particular Saturday, I thought...time to check up on my friend Sally....I'm so thankful that I did!! What a blessing you are to your many, many friends!!!

Thinking of you, Sally, and hoping you have a spectacular day on your next Monday!!!

Diane

Elizabeth Rietz said...

Wow, what a special gift and creative way to serve this family and the Lord! Thanks for sharing and for being an inspiration for me.

Love,
Liz Rietz
(Kristin's friend from LA)