Sunday, March 30, 2008

COMMUNING WITH JOHN AND MARGIE

On Easter's Eve, my friend Beth and I gathered prayer books, our bibles, hymnals and voluminous copies of worship songs and headed to Edward's Hospital to visit our friend Margie's husband, John, who has been valiantly - tenaciously - fighting metastasized brain cancer for the last several months. A musician at heart, I eagerly anticipated the melodies and lyrics whisking John to God's Throne of Grace. He - a musical prodigy and titanically gifted worship leader - if anyone, would be able to appreciate our impromptu Easter Service delivered at hospital bedside. love
love
As Beth drove me to the hospital, we prayed about our offering. I sight-read dozens of new hymns (ones not sung at my church) that Beth knew would hold specific Eastertide and personal meaning to our ailing friend. As we roamed hospital halls in search of John's room, I was nervous about singing in front of this musical master and hopeful that our meager offering would be a beneficent and beautiful blessing. Beth prayed that angels would accompany us, filling in thin spots with heavenly colors, timbres and overtones.

Our circuitous sojourn and time of supplication ended at John's hospital room door. With grace and kindness, he (who had, two days prior been lacking his typical verbosity and lucidity) greeted us by name and invited us into the tiny, sterile space. We were elated to find John's friend, Randy, there. It seemed an answer to our prayer that this man, who had written one of the songs Beth had chosen to be part of our organic service, was keeping vigil with John during our visit.

"Randy! Please sing with us," we invited.

After getting John comfortable in his bed; Randy obliged with his James Tayloresque tenor.

Glory!

Beth and I hit most of the notes. Randy greatly helped! John even sang a bit, raising a hand in worship of God the Father. Margie's father, who was there to keep the night watch, wept worshipful tears and said, "This music is more beautiful than that at this morning's Easter service."

Beth and I figured angels must have been accompanying us: filling in the gaps of our shaky soprano/alto inadequacies. The music was a gift to us, to nurses who stopped in John's doorway to listen, to God in whose name we always sing; and, we hope, to John.

For me, though, the most holy and worshipful moment of the evening occurred when I noticed John (whose motor skills have slowed a bit due to his illness) wrestling to eat dinner. As I watched his shaky hand, unsure of what the fork should do; a maternal urging overtook me. I knelt beside John - this man who I've admired for his faith in Christ and voluminous intellect - and instinctively began cutting up his tuna sandwich. Then, I waited in eager anticipation for him to scoop up a bit of sustenance and slide it into his mouth. He didn't move.

From a place of instinct and motherly love a question gently burst from my mouth into the room. "John, would you mind if I just fed this to you?"

Graciously, he opened his mouth, receiving the offering. Three bites into the meal, John looked around the room at his father-in-law, his friend Randy, Beth and me and said, "You are all so generous."

I felt my throat catch with sadness and the feeling that I was in a privileged moment. Randy smiled. Beth turned to another worship song. I offered John another bite of the sandwich and said, "This is just what friends do. You did the same for me when I was in the height of my back pain and you came over and prayed for me."

I scooped up another forkful of tuna. And, I couldn't help but feel, in the moment, that feeding John a quarter of that tuna sandwich (all he could manage) was the closest I'd ever come to breaking the Body of Christ with a friend; sharing the Cup of The New Covenant.

I will never be able to thank John or Margie for the ways they've let me walk intimately with them into the Valley of the Shadow. It is a gift and honor and joy ineffable.
love
love
love

Yesterday afternoon, as I was shaking in my bed under the nefarious grip of strain B Influenza, Margie called.

"How's John?" I asked.

"He's feeling a little overwhelmed today," she said. "But, I'm not calling about John. I wanted to let you know that I got a belated Easter dinner together for my family. And when I heard you were sick, I made one for you guys, too."
love
love
love

Last night as I scooped up a forkful of Margie's French twist on Shepherd's Pie and brought it to my mouth, all I could think was, "Do this in remembrance of me."

3 comments:

Beth said...

Sal,

What a blessing it was to minister with you! It was amazing to see God take our meager offerings and multiply them - like the loaves and fishes! I'm so sorry to hear you're sick. Be patient with yourself while you recover. :-)

Loving you,
Beth

Sally Miller said...

Beth,

And with you!

Your song selections - and musical leadership - were perfect on Easter Eve.

And, your words to me to day: a gracing gift.

Loving you,

Sal

Anonymous said...

Sally and Beth,

It was an honor to sing with you both. Beth, I am still so grateful for the gracious way you invited me to be a part of the worship team during our time at Church of the Redeemer. Sally, you have such a sweet and considerate heart, and you are such an amazing writer!

God bless and keep you both,

Randy York